Part 2 Sponsorship

Crowd Funding has now closed at Offbeatr. Thankyou everyone who supported us. It was touch and go for a while, but we made our base target with minutes to spare. :O

http://offbeatr.com/project/redemption-of-the-crimson-empress-part-2-67812055153

Thursday 15 August 2013

Nemesis, thy name is Avira

For the last few months, Avira antivirus has been giving us what seemed to be and what I am now sure is a false positive. None of the mainstream AVs had a problem and Avira is known for its false positives.

Avira has been known for complaining about Renpy games and it even rejected the SDK for a while, so I had put the problem aside until I had more information to go on and then someone told me that none of their other Renpy games were being reported any more.
 
To cut a long story short I have finally narrowed it down to the one file in the game that Avira does not like. Would you believe, it is the game icon.

This little 16x16 pixel icon seems to be the problem. If I include it in the build, Avira complains. If I don't it doesn't. Interestingly enough, Trend Micro House Call thinks it is ok, but if I include the Mac version of the icon in the build, it complains.

Anyhow, I have been scanning using VirusTotal.com which has a 64Mb limit so I have been using a cut down build without all the images. Could someone who has Avira please check the following: http://www.mediafire.com/download/ia05zdpm4c470zn/ROCE-R1.3.0S-all.zip

The game will now use the default icons instead of the custom ones. As near as I can tell that should fix everyone. Oh, and this is a full build so it is 300Mb sorry.

Just heard from one person Avira is still complaining. Can someone confirm?

6 comments:

  1. Ok, so I have found out that Avira antivirus objects to the Windows Icon for the game and Trend Micro House Call objects to the Mac Icon for the game.

    I am taking those icons out of the build so the game will just use the generic Renpy icons.

    For those who think that Fibre To The Node is as good as Fibre To The Premises, it is taking me two hours to do this upload using my FTTN connection. I wish I was on the NBN as it would take me a couple of minutes.(This is a Federal Election issue in Australia.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't you just send the icon to Avira and ask them why their antivirus objects to it? This seems like an issue on their side, so they should be the ones to fix it...

    Also, have you considered making a thread about the game on Hongfire, just like you made one on the LoK forums?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the next couple of days, I am going to see if it is just that icon or it is any icon. According to virustotal, 3 different AVs (out of 41) don't like it.

      I will look at hongfire. TFGamesite.com has been the surprise. There is a very active discussion thread going on there about the game.

      Delete
    2. And its up on hongfire. :)

      Delete
  3. Comodo quarantines the 1.2.3 exe as soon as I open a folder where it resides.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loaded up a copy of 1.2.3 without images on virustotal.com.

    Antivir (Avira), Ikarus, Comodo, Trend Micro House Call (but not standard Trend Micro), and something called the TheHacker do not like it.

    If you have any of these, please try 1.3.0S in this post. It removes the icons that seem to be spooking these AVs. Note that I do not have these AVs, I can only ship files to virustotal for checking.

    As virustotal has a 64Mb limit I cannot check the builds with all the images in them. I am considering shipping the image files as a separate bundle.

    ReplyDelete